Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Highlights

Mug shot in the Nordic style of woodcarving from Wisconsin
Mid-summer rain Hiking in North Carolina
I had a busy summer.  I read several good books on training, attended a conference and numerous workshops on Functional Training.  I kept clients busy with workouts between my weekend trips and longer family vacations.  I went to Missouri, Wisconsin, and North Carolina this year leaving only Oklahoma for next year when it's 20 year high-school reunion time!  

Racing and training with Wheelworks Multisport went well.  I even won my division at the Quassy Rev3 race (photos link) in Connecticut and at the Whaling City race in New Bedford, but still, nothing motivated me to write articles.    

Then in July August, and September my trips to see family travels and to race in several new triathlons (USAT Age Group Nationals in Burlington, VT and the Pumpkinman Half-Ironman in southern Maine) kept me running strong with my fastest paces ever in triathlon and juggling clients around my travel times.  

Healthy good veggies from home
 Food continued to be a minor and fun obsession over the summer.  Fresh veggies from our Red Fire Farm CSA share filled us with kale and summer squash.  These were once again my staples for Paleo-influenced eating as whole veg, low grain eating became more my norm. I ditched a lot of sugar and refined grains except when mandated by homemade holiday celebration treats including fine pastry and sometimes, yes, homemade toffee.  There were also a few take-out treats like this meringue cookie found after seeing the Boston Ballet's Nutcracker.
Snowman that doesn't melt...he's meringue!

I barely spent any time on the computer with blogging.  August had me strong with group workouts and a good, lean body fat percent, but still nothing to write about.  Waiting for inspiration to strike, I left blogging and followed twitter feeds on exercise and health more closely.  I also joined the Google+ social networking site but still found it dull compared to Facebook.  Breaking news on exercise science and the latest tips to motivate healthier lifestyles didn't turn my head for long.  I tweeted and I waited for dialog or feedback of any kind, not just the ego-stoking retweets, but it all felt moot.  There was so much more summer to enjoy -- so I went to the river and took up rowing!    

Sculling Level 1 class was a good time!
Single person rowing, or sculling, became a minor obsession in my Tues/Thurs adult lessons at Community Rowing Inc  How I wish I'd discovered crew and ERG'ing while back at UC Berkeley and living in the Bay Area, California, not Massachusetts.  It could have been pretty great to row back then as I'm learning it a little late now.  At least I'm eating well and healthier than ever even if my local access to produce isn't quite as bountiful.
A beautifully balanced salmon salad eaten in SF, CA in Dec 2011


Finally in late October fall really did arrive and I got very busy again with clients.  My hours with SunnyDayFitness clients (~5 per week) and Healthworks clients (~25 per week) took over my planning and marketing time.  I was all about the hustle this fall, and now I feel a little sad for it.  How could I let my writing go for so long without notice?  Who did I disappoint by not sharing more ideas more often?  Anyone?  No one?  I won't really know, but I do know that I feel bad that I missed those months and wrote so little. 

So maybe you fell behind on something, too?  Could 2012 be your year to step back into stride with that lost passion for exercise?  Maybe returning to the old exercise habits won't do this time around?  Let me know if you are looking for something new, OK?  We just might find it together in 2012.  Get in touch if I can help or comment on "What you missed in 2011 and want to find in the new year".
Peaceful and Happy Holidays

No comments:

Post a Comment